John Lewis – Never Knowingly Undersold TV Advert 2012
- HerringBone – Little Hand
What to say in fashion industry advertising?
It is understood that the first considerations must be the advertising objectives and the target customer, but the focal point of an advertising message is the advertising appeal. The appeal should tell potential buyers what the product offers and what it can do for them, Themes are often developed to provide continuity to an advertising campaign, but are also commonly used to reinforce a brand image, thereby helping to maintain distinctive competitive positions. Themes also help ease the introduction of new fashion products and services.
Or you can just jump out of the box and think about new ideas that could attract people’s attention, like the three commercials above did.
How to convey the message in fashion industry advertising?
- Stressing the products’ unique selling points.
- Telling a story or the history of a fashion product.
- Reflecting the lifestyle or desired lifestyle by careful selection of situations showing people wearing the garments.
- Real life situations can be used for instance where someone has a problem and the advertisement shows the solution.
- Demonstrations can be used to prove the products’ claim which may be, for example, to withstand 100 washes and still retain its shape and color.
- Testimonials may be made by celebrities, television or sports personalities whom the target customers will identify with. They endorse the product either by using it or making a statement supporting the brand.
- The association format uses analogies o convey the message by creating an emotional mood and communicating the psychological benefits through exciting associations such as sporting events and showing beautiful scenery.
- Fantasy appeals seek to associate the product with the target market’s wildest dreams and hopes. Cosmetics producers often feature fantasy as a theme.
- Montage formats present the audience with a number of different situations, scenes and visual effects to create excitement and demonstrate the various situations for wearing garments.
What kind of Fashion Advertisement would make you feel interesting?
Part of guidelines and advices are coming from the book
Fashion Marketing by Mike Easey.